IT’S INTERESTING!

Incoming tourists can get the information about tourist sights, itineraries and accomodation in Sortavala and nearby regions in Visit-center of Sortavala city.

Karelian villages Kinerma, Sholtozero and Rubchoila invite you to experience real  country life with its splendid air and imperceptible charm without city ruffle, noise and high technology.

Pitkyarantsky

Location
Nature sights and peculiarities of the region
Cultural and historical peculiarities
The main tourist centers and sights of the region
Architectural objects 
Nature and ecotourism


Cities

Location

The territory of Pitkyarantsky region (the area - 23 000 square kilometres, the population – 23 200 people) is situated along the northeast shore of the Ladoga Lake – the largest lake in Europe. The outlet to Ladoga gives the region some considerable advantages:

  • in summer it provides for good transport connection with Valaam island – the tourist object of world significance;
  • it gives excellent opportunities for the development of nature tourism, which is getting more and more popular among Russian and foreign tourists;
  • it provides for favorable conditions for all-the-year-round fishing tourism .

The region is easily reached from Petrozavodsk, Saint-Petersburg and Sortavala. The distance from the state border (Vyartsila checkpoint) to Pitkyaranta is 115 kms. International Blue road of tourism crosses the territory of the region. In 1999 3 important overpasses on the territory of the region were reconstructed and it formed the basis of heavy haulers and tourist buses transportation.

top

Nature sights and peculiarities of the region

Nature sights:

  • "White Bridges" waterfall on Kulismajoki river is considered to be one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Karelia. It is 2-3 kms away from the International Blue Road, but is still little known and not included into excursions;
  • "Koirinija" waterfall on Koirinjoki river is of interest both as a unique nature object and the site of the first tin-smelting factory in Russia;
  • thick Uksinsk osar ridge (1500 hectares) is a remarkable geological monument;
  • the only in Karelia plantations of mountain pines, which are of interest both of the experts and common tourists;
  • marble and granite open-cast mines.

All the objects listed above (architectural, memorial and nature) are close to the International Blue Tourism Road, which makes them easy to find. They can be included in a single tourist product of the region, which will draw attention of native and foreign tourists. This tourist product may be viewed by blocks of one, two or three days with the tourists coming for night’s lodging to Pitkyaranta city. It is very important in the conditions of underdeveloped tourist service in the other parts of the region.

Pecularities

The relief of the region is very irregular and full of ranges and canyon-like lowerings. Canyons are often used as river and stream valleys, flowing into Ladoga. There are 3 beautiful waterfalls little known to tourists, in the region. The relief of the region is very irregular and full of ranges and canyon-like lowerings. Canyons are often used as river and stream valleys, flowing into Ladoga. There are 3 beautiful waterfalls little known to tourists, in the region. The Uksinsk osar ridge is also situated on the territory of the region. It was declared to be a geological monument and is used by geologists. There is the only in Karelia plantation of mountain pine on the right shore of Uksunjoki river, one and a half kilometer northward of Uuksu village. To the south from Salmi village there are lots of sandy beaches, pineries and dunes. These are the best places for summer vacation.

top

Cultural and historical peculiarities

Pitkyarantsky region has a very complex history. Originally, the area was inhabited with Saami, them Karelians and Novgorodians came here. From the beginning of the XVII century the region was under Swedish control for more than a hundred of years. In this period the main historical monument of the region appeared here – that was a huge Varashev stone, which was placed near Pogrankondushi village in 1618 as a border sign. One more historical monument is connected with Swedes: it is an original monument placed near the village of Uuksa in honor of the last war between Russian and Sweden. The monument looks like a small chapel, though it is made of a concrete block faced with round boulders with a roof also topped with a round boulder. If equipped with modern facilities and promoted well, both Swedish monuments could be the objects of tourist interest.

A century later the region again became a part of Russia, then for a century and a half it was under Finnish control. In 1940 this territory came back to Russia. Because of such a complex history the region has little cultural and historical objects. According to the information of the institution of urbanism, the cultural heritage of the region is 3.2%. There are 112 monuments, more than a half of which (59%) are the memorials of the Winter war and the Patriotic war, 28.5% are architectural monuments of great interest for tourists and 12.5% are the monuments of archeology.

The main place in the tourist process of the region belongs to the theme of war. On the number of historical objects connected with war, the region takes the first place among the other regions of the republic. At the same time, this makes it necessary to organize a special tourist package: visitors should see both war and nature monuments.

top

The main tourist centers and sights of the region

Pitkyaranta city

Pitkyaranta is not only an administrative center of the region, which proves its high cultural potential, but also its geographical center, which is rather close to any part of the region. Besides, the city is situated near the highways to Petrozavodsk and Suojarvi, 2 historical zones (“The Valley of Heroes” and “Nietjarvi”) and the border of nature park “Ladoga skerries”. There are well developed communication, catering and service center facilities in the city. The museum of local lore is a known cultural center.

Impilahti village

The tourist image of Impilahti is defined by the following factors:

  • this is a former district center of Finland;
  • Impilahti has a status of a historical city with Finnish planning structure;
  • a lot of architectural monuments are preserved in the village. These are bank building, priest’s house and summer residence, blocks of flats and memorial cemetery of Finnish soldiers, killed during the wars of 1939-1940 and 1941-1944;
  • the village may become the center of “Ladoga skerries” nature park. It is located at the top of a beautiful 7-kilometers long bay, which is very popular among Finnish tourists.

top

Architectural objects

  • The Church of mourning (1910) in Orusjarvi village. It is being kept in satisfactory state and is an example of eclecticism.;
  • The Church of St. Nicholas in the village of Salmi (1824-1827) is in emergency situation;
  • The building of paper-making factory in the village of Lyaskelya;
  • Monuments in the village of Impilahti - bank building, priest’s house and summer residence;
  • The priest’s house in the village of Harlu;
  • Swedish monuments can also be listed here – Varashev Stone (four-point cross and letters are carved on it) and the monument in honor of the end of the Russian-Swedish war in the village of Uuksu. (according to the received information there is its analogue in Sweden).

The tourist potential of these monuments is still underestimated.

top

Nature and ecotourism

The development of this kind of tourism in the region is connected with the foundation of nature park “Ladoga skerries”. The beauty of Ladoga skerries has already been evaluated by thousands of tourists. The park also has the conditions for the development of any forms of nature and ecological tourism. A special attention should be drawn to the water route down the Janisjoki river, which is now being equipped with the help of Finnish companies.

The route down the Uksunjoki river is also of great interest. It is longer and full of rapids. The route starts in the Uksijarvi lake (near the village of Raikonkoski) or in the Kjasnjasenjarvi lake (near the village of Kjasnjaselka). In the first case the route is 100 kms long, in the latter – 50 kms.

Excursion to Valaam island is also included in the tourist package of the region, because the eastern part of Valaam Archipelago belongs to the territory of Pitkyarantsky region. The administration of the region should think of buying a modern tourist vessel. It can also charter the ships belonging to the monastery and private ships.

Taking into consideration its geographic location, transport accessibility historical and cultural heritage, the tourist potential of Pitkyarantsky region may be valued as a very prospective for forming of a huge tourist complex, which will be beneficial for the economy of the region.