Kivach Waterfall

Kivach Waterfall
Region Kondopozhsky

Kivach (Russian: Кивач, from Karelian kiivas, "impetuous") is a 10.7-meter-high cascade waterfall. It is situated on the Suna River in the Kondopoga District, Republic of Karelia  and gives its name to the Kivach Natural Reserve, founded in 1931.

Kivach owes much of its fame to Gavrila Derzhavin, the governor of Olonets (1784) and a Russian poet who was inspired by its "impetuous stream" to write "Waterfall", one of the most important Russian poems of the 18th century. Many other eminent visitors followed Derzhavin to see the famous waterfall. One of these was Alexander II of Russia, who commissioned a new road to Kivach, an arbour on the right bank of the stream and a bridge slightly downstream.

In 1936, the Soviets diverted part of the river to feed a local hydroelectric power station, which affected the waterfall negatively, while its rivals - Girvas (14.8 meters) and Por-Porog (16.8 meters) - were destroyed altogether.

Nowadays Kivach wakes up only during spring floods. Although it is not as spectacular as it used to be, Kivach is still considered a major sight in Karelia. Thousands of tourists visit the place annually.

The waterfall Kivach is situated in the center of Kivach Natural Reserve 60 kms away from Petrozavodsk.

Rambler's Top100 Яндекс.Метрика